Besides common email clients like Netscape, Outlook, etc, you can now send "Signed Email" through our HKUST WebMail Service. This can save you the trouble in configuring your email client in order to send "Signed Email".
With the rollout of new HKUST Card, users can now apply for a Personal (Smartcard) e-Cert and use it to send signed emails. To send signed email with your HKUST Card:
- Insert your HKUST Card into the smart card reader.
- If you are using Windows XP or Windows 2000, your Personal (Smartcard) e-Cert will be registered with Internet Explorer automatically. Otherwise, you will need to register your Personal (Smartcard) e-Cert.
- Open Internet Explorer and logon to HKUST WebMail (as Netscape is currently not supported).
- Check the Digitally sign this message checkbox.
- Compose your message and include mail attachments as usual.
- Click on the Send button when everything is correct (will be prompted to install and run formsign.cab during the first time sending signed email).
- Select the required digital e-Cert when prompted.
- Enter your e-Cert password when prompted.
As the signing process is CPU intensive, user are recommended to use PCs with Pentium III 1 GHz or above if you need to sign large attachments (up to the maximum of 5 MB). For more information, please refer to Signed Email's FAQ.
Other Useful Reference