- Install Anti-Virus tool. F-Secure Anti-Virus is available for HKUST users to install on your computer which can help you to detect and fix virus problems.
- Update Virus Definition regularly. New viruses appear almost everyday. Besides installing the latest anti-virus program, users are highly recommended to update the Virus Definition on a regular basis, say at least on a weekly basis. For details, please refer to our web page on Virus Definition Update.
Good PracticeIt is very difficult to guarantee a 100% virus-free working environment. Apart from the requirement of knowing how to detect and handle viruses, followings are some guidelines on preventing viruses :
- Despite anti-virus protection in place, it is a rule of thumb NOT to open email attachment unless you expect to receive it. There is always a possibility that the attachments might contain new virus that the anti-virus software is not able to detect it at all.
- Avoid provide file shares to others. Apply strong password policy if it is unavoidable. If you are using Windows XP, disable the simple file sharing.
- Apply strong password to protect you machine. Do not leave administrator password blank or assigning trivial password with your Windows machine.
- Avoid referring, storing or copying files (programs and documents) from unknown or untrusted source such as download from Internet or email attachments received from friends.
- Consider to save a file in ASCII or RTF format when sharing your documents with others to reduce the risk of transmitting macro viruses.
- Backup essential data files periodically.